American Association of Poison Control Centers, Connie Sellecca, conniesellecca, intelligence for your life, intelligenceforyourlife, non-toxic, poison, poisonous, silica, silica gel, silica gel packets, toxic
You know those packets they put in boxes with electronics that say “Do not eat?” Do they contain poison? No. The packets are filled with silica gel, a naturally-occurring mineral that absorbs and holds water vapor, so moisture won’t ruin your new TV before you get it home. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, silica gel may not TASTE good, but it’s non-toxic, which means it’s NOT poisonous. So, why does the packet say “Do not eat?” Because 1) It’s not food, and 2) The packet itself could be a choking hazard for small children.