bacteria, chemicals, clean, Connie Sellecca, conniesellecca, explosion, Food Research Institute, intelligence for your life, intelligenceforyourlife, lemon, lemon rind, microbes, microwave, smell, spill, University of Wisconsin
If the food splatters resemble an abstract painting – will it make you sick? Probably not. That’s according to Dr. Kathleen Glass from the Food Research Institute at the University of Wisconsin. She says food spills or explosions typically dry quickly – and the high heat kills microbes. However, that’s not an excuse to leave your microwave a mess. Because large chunks can retain some moisture, allowing bacteria to thrive. But you don’t want to use harsh chemicals where your food goes. So here’s how to clean the inside of your microwave naturally. This technique comes from TheKitchen.com: Put a half-cup of water in a bowl, with the juice of one lemon and its rind. Microwave on high for 3 minutes – and let it stand for 5 more minutes. Then open the microwave and wipe it down. It should clean up easily and smell great.